Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find our most commonly asked questions or FAQ’s, clicking on any question reveals the answer.
What is air abrasion?
Air abrasion is a way to remove decay from a tooth without using a dental drill. It works like a sandblaster removing graffiti from walls. The air abrasion hand piece blows a powerful air stream of tiny aluminum oxide particles out of its tip onto the tooth.
Is air abrasion safe?
Yes, air abrasion is safe. The only precautions needed before air abrasion are protective eye wear (to prevent eye irritation from the spray) and the use of a rubber dam (a rubber sheet that fits around teeth) or protective resin applied to nearby teeth and gums to protect areas of the mouth that aren’t being treated.
What are the advantages of AquaCare for patients?
Compared with the traditional drilling method, the advantages of air abrasion are many and include the following:
- Air abrasion generates no heat, sound, pressure, or vibration.
- Air abrasion reduces the need for anaesthetic, particularly if the cavity is shallow.
- Air abrasion leaves much more of the healthy tooth tissue behind.
- Air abrasion leaves the working area relatively dry, which is an advantage during the placement of composite fillings.
- Air abrasion reduces the risk of microfracturing and chipping of the tooth, which some experts believe can lead to premature restorative failures.
- Air abrasion allows the dentist to treat multiple sites in the mouth during a single visit.
- The procedure is relatively simple and quick.
What are the advantages of AquaCare for dentists?
- Rapid removal of discoloration without discomfort for the patient
- Better abrasion and preparation: ProCut 29μ and 53μ alumina ProCut
- Prevention against micro-fractures and crackle effects which are normally associated with rotary instruments
- Improved retention of the sealant
What procedures can be performed with air abrasion?
Air abrasion can also be used to:
- Remove some old composite restorations, but not metallic restorations such as silver or amalgam fillings
- Prepare a tooth surface for bonding or sealants
- Remove superficial stains and tooth discolorations
How do I arrange a demonstration of the equipment before purchasing?
You can use our online booking form or call the office to arrange a demonstration at your convenience
How do I make a purchase?
To make a purchase please call the sales team on +44 (0) 20 8965 2913. You can also make an initial enquiry for the product you wish to purchase via email – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is AquaCare available in Europe and the rest of the world?
AquaCare units are sold globally, please get in touch to find out your nearest dealer in your region. Alternatively you can view our world map of authourised dealers here.
How can I find out about your special offers?
The best way to find out about our deals & offers is to sign-up to our newsletter. We also recommend following us on our social media channels to keep up to date with our latest developements, news and offers.
Does the AquaCare unit come with a warranty?
Yes, all our units a covered for a one year period from the date of purchase.
How often should an x-ray film processor be serviced?
Velopex x-ray film processors should be serviced annually. You can contact the Service Department to schedule an appointment or enquire about our When In Area Service.
How can I supply compressed air to the AquaCare unit?
What consumables do I need for the unit?
We have a selection of consumables for our AquaCare range – Powders, Handpieces, Tips. Please visit the product section of our website to view the available consumables.